Wednesday 21 January 2015

Whose Labour?

The origins of the Labour Movement are rooted in the need to halt the exploitation of workers, and provide a critical mass for negotiating employment terms and conditions. Fast forward to the 21st century and the movement is nothing but a name. In America, Unions are still fighting to escape the greasy embrace of the Mob. In the UK Labour is a political party that pretty much stands for nothing. And in Nigeria, the Labour Congress is a charade where grown men give themselves the title "comrade" while being paid off by the government. 

The only achievement of the labour movement in Nigeria in recent years appears to be to have enabled a select few to get rich on government payouts. There is still no national minimum wage. Manual and low skilled workers receive no protection or support. There is minimal access to equal opportunities in recruitment, or due process in cases of unfair dismissal. Outside of the civil service workers have practically no rights! The award of perks and benefits in corporate organisations doesn't prevent summary dismissals and widespread harassment. 

Maybe one of these days Nigeria will put off celebrating 'Workers' Day' and actually get on with celebrating the worker. In Nigeria we are great at studying things but terribly poor at actually applying best practice to reform and improvement. It's time the Government, Labour Congress, and academicians got together to bring some dignity back to the worker and the Labour Movement in Nigeria. 

2 comments:

  1. In Nigeria we are great at studying things but terribly poor at actually applying best practice to reform and improvement ------ I just remembered the last debate topic I had bout electronic voting....This is EXACTLY what I was talking bout.....Mehnnnn Cyclone, I think you should write a political book. Your views are so on point and very easy for the layman to understand. I never used to be so interested in talks or articles like this...buh I can relate to everything here, the way you simplify them makes me always wonder bout my own country and that is a good attribute of a great writer, think bout it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying my random thoughts. I often write to try and crystallise my ideas in my own mind. I can't really carry big ideas around in my head for very long. 😊

      Delete