Wednesday 7 January 2015

Time to Campaign for Better Care

It is unfortunate that Nigeria has developed a culture that places more value on charity rather than on empowerment. In a country with significant wealth inequalities the privileged prefer to maintain their exalted status and only endow those in their immediate circle of relationships. Charitable work is confined to giving handouts. Very little thought is given to uplifting the circumstances of people's lives or integrating the disabled into the society. Too many people prefer to use the disabled as a photo opportunity rather than catering to their real needs. 

The Federal and State Governments are the foremost culprits in this systematic cycle of neglect and abandonment. Very little investment is made in the care and rehabilitation of people with disabilities. Majority of disabled people are reduced to begging on streets because no provision is made to support them in education or help them into employment. Tragically now disabled people don't envisage any prospect other than panhandling as a means to an income. This has created an underclass of destitution and poverty. 

It's time that the Government instituted a national programme for the care of all children with disabilities. This should include treatment, care and educational provision. Social care and training should be provided for all adults with disabilities. Banning begging and getting beggars of the streets will not change the culture of neglect that has become endemic in this society. 

2 comments:

  1. Hiya Papi...So I wanted to come by and say thank you for visiting my blog.

    You know, I love this post because this also happens in my country (Kenya...I am married to a Nigerian). It is actually worse in mine...Hardly do you find people do charitable work. The rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer. Giving to charity is actually a personal thing. I love doing it. I don't believe in making so much noise bout it. I am a christian and I prefer to keep lots of my actions private (between God, myself and the person I am giving)

    I would join a campaign that aims to provide care for the disabled kids and adults...cuz to be honest, disabled people are not write-offs. (unfortunately, in Africa, it is seen like that)...When I think of them begging on the streets, I wonder why the Government will move to ban them when that is the only way they can get money to feed. If you ban people from begging on the streets, what is the plan for their upkeep?...Cuz if they can't beg, they will have to steal and that will just increase crime mehnn...

    I am with you on this...I can totally relate to this post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Erniesha, I hear you O! We live in a societies that claims to be caring yet very little care is provided for the disabled. We assume it's solely the family's responsibility and then look down on them when they crumble under the burden. We too easily accept destitution in others while aspiring to extravagance for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete