Friday 13 February 2015

Some Advice About Advice

There are times I wonder whether we shouldn't subject people who helpfully volunteer to advise us to a lot more scrutiny. I would go so far as to suggest we should interview and evaluate the people we choose to offer us advice. It is quite a big job after all. Good advice can set us up for life; and bad advice can put us on the path to ruin. This is literally the case with financial advice. Similarly, in our day to day lives our success or failure can rest on taking the right advice. And it will serve us well if we exercise some caution with regards who we look to for advice. 

I remember a few years ago when I was about to do some traveling an uncle of mine who I had gone to notify decided to advise me of what to expect on my travels. He told me how it was going to be tough, probably like nothing I had experienced before. That's because conditions in Nigeria were so agreeable most Nigerians had become soft and lazy. He said this with a very pitying look in his eyes. He rounded up by giving me a hard stare and wishing me good luck if I still wanted to travel. My guess was this was his way of telling I was feckless and wouldn't really amount to much. Now I don't know whether he was wrong or right. But I do know I did not find his words either encouraging or inspiring. They didn't do me much good but I certainly never forgot them. Because while they may have been factually accurate they certainly weren't very supportive of me. But he had to have his say, so screw me; he thought. 

Nigeria being a very hierarchical society we are practically required to seek the counsel of elders. And then we're duty bound to abide by it. This can be a good thing, as a Yoruba proverb points out; "a child can never have as many rags as an elderly person". It is true that wisdom comes with age and experience. However it is true that not all aged people have actually devoted themselves to the pursuit of wisdom, nor have they experienced everything the world has to offer. So there are times you have to figure out when the 'advice' you're being given is really just so much hot air. 

As with these words I have written, all advice should be taken with a reasonable degree of scepticism. Who knows where the motivation for the advice truly comes from? Ultimately you must know what you want for anyone to capably guide and direct you. If you haven't figured out what your options are, there is a good chance that the good advice you get will only lead further down the path of confusion. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting write up.
    Sometime ago, I remember a friend said something about how a particular young artist would react to advice/counsel about how to manage his sudden wealth, things to do to maintain the consistent cash flow, investments etc.from other people (other people being older people who are not up to his standard financially). He said, apart from being so young and naive, he is likely to consider their counsel foolish because he'd think that if they knew that much they would have done some of those things and not be beneath him financially.
    It's ''funny'' how some of our so-called elders who we sometimes consider foolish having seen the way they handle simple situations around them or the decisions they make concerning their own life, offer to advice us based on the minutest facts they are able to gather on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people have gotten used to everyone saying yes to them they sometimes lose the sense of when to say no to themselves. Some elders want to tell us how to live without bothering to understand how we're living.

      Delete
  2. When I was younger, one of my Pastors once told me that some types of advice are meant to be taken while some others are meant to be squeezed up like unwanted paper and thrown away. So it's important to be able to discern which advice is which.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and well,people will likely always give advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People will give advice and grief. Sometimes both together, and at the same time

      Delete