Wednesday 22 October 2008

Backpacks


I guess I really am a cynic. I used to believe that the walkman was one of the modern eras most anti-social inventions. But I've had almost all incarnations of it so maybe I'm just a hypocrite. Well, of late I have become irritatingly more convinced that everyday backpacks are certainly a bane on humanity.


And yes, have owned a couple. One was a patent leather backpack. The other was a sports backpack that I have away at the first opportunity.You see people lurching around with backpacks strapped to their backs like they are jetpacks. They are completely oblivious of their surroundings. And they assume their backpacks are an extension of their bodies. Its no problem for them to bump, brush or batter unfortunates who wander into the radius of their backpack inhabited crushing zone.


So many people just don't care how there phantom baody part impinges on anyone else. I have come too the view that the English are just too inelegant. They lact any physical intuition. If you take half a look at them they are just a shambling stuttering mess. Thats why they are no good at anything that requires athletic expression. They are also terrible at driving. They just cant feel or relate to rhythm the vehicle. Anything that is mechanical or requires a repetitive skill is just the thing for them though.


I can understand that for heavy loads a backpack will come in handy. Thats what rucksacks are all about. But I have seen people who clearly were not being weighed down in any way. Except maybe by the overwhelming essence of their BO and bad breath. Thats certainly a knockout during the peak hour crush.


It makes me laugh when I see people with what are clearly empty backpacks on their backs. I mean, whats the point? Surely they can carry that in one hand. Why strap it to your back like some kind of life support pack. Its even worse when you see someone formally dressed in a suit and then on goes the backpack. Talk of common!


No comments:

Post a Comment